Transformers: War for Cybertron demo

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

The demo for Transformers: War for Cybertron just came out for the 360 and needless to say I downloaded it immediately. It's multiplayer only which is alright. Of the four classes that will be available in the full game, the demo contains only the Scout and Tank classes (the other two are Scientist, which are the planes, and ...Support? which are like heavy cargo trucks.)

It's incredible. This is the Transformers game I have been waiting for all my life.

The fighting is fast, frantic and awesome, giant lasers and robot shotguns and electro-swords flying around everywhere. There are unlockable perks and weapons, an experience system, customizable skins/colors/models etc.

But most importantly the transforming between vehicle and robot mode is smooth and awesome. It doesn't feel artificial or awkward, it feels NATURAl - you feel like a Transformer. One game as a scout I annihilated an opponent with a charged-up plasma shot, stealthed and ran up behind another player and ambushed with a lethal energy sword attack, then turned into car mode and sped out a nearby window to escape their approaching angry friends. I guess it's hard to convey how fast and AMAZING it feels.

The multiplayer is fun, but I'm not sure how much I'll actually play it later, especially since the campaign is 3(!)-person co-op. But it's been great messing around in the demo and getting used to the controls and just reveling in the fact that I'm playing a Transformers game that doesn't suck.

I can't wait till the actual game - AND STARSCREAM - is out.

0 comments: