DCUO: Part 4 Pots, Vaults and Castles

Thursday, February 24, 2011

I know I promised to talk about Gotham for part four but I would like to touch on something else first since I am just in Gotham and haven't done too many quests yet.


There's two things about DCUO I haven't mentioned yet... well three things but only two were deliberate. Pots and Vaults are really the two brilliant touches of this game. I didn't mention them yet because I didn't want to burn out your awesome sensors and have your pleasure nozzles ache from too much delicious stimulation.

You already know what pots are. Their basically anything you break and get shit out of. I call them pots because it's a nostalgic reference to Zelda: A Link to the past for SNES. Just like other nerds I like to reference games that are irrefutably awesome so I don't really have to take a risk by attaching myself things and possibly open myself up for criticism. Digression this is why shitty games that are perceived as good trick you. People attach themselves to them because they are supposed to be 'good' then they won't have to deal with hate on the net.

Back to breaking shit in DCUO there are barrels and other items you can pick up and either smash over or throw at enemies. Really what good would a hero game be if you couldn't smash someone with a foreign object. Now even though these items aren't full of rupees and really only hold experience rewards if they are part of a quest they are still thing that you can smash SO I SMASH EM. With a big idiot grin on my face.

The fact that there are things to smash everywhere in an MMO is amazing to me. Even though I hate to run down WOW, it is the only other MMO I've played and it didn't have pots or barrels or random shit for me to smash and I am retroactively angry about it.

I'm not going to talk about Vaults yet because it's too awesome and I don't want you to pass out before you read about castles. That's what we in the industry call a tease.

So like pretty much everything else I reference with a made-up-term-and-just-hope-you-can-interpret-what-I-mean-and-it-is-ultimately-wrong-and-theres-an-already-existing-internet-nerd-term-that-I-think-is-dumb you most likely have no idea what I mean when I say castles. Well children what I mean is a building in which you go through killing dudes and solving puzzles until you get to a boss and then kill him/her/it and I don't mean a dungeon because it's in a building not a cave. So yeah those are in DCUO and they are fun.

I've only gone through 3 so far one was a regular warehouse one was a high tech lab and one was a crack house drug den sort of deal. These are pretty cool because so far they fit the flavor of the enemies and the boss. The drug den I aforementioned was populate by Bain thugs who were making and selling the drug that makes Bane, well Baney. The boss of the castle was the main dealer of the drug.

Finally Vaults. What do you think of when you think vault. Some sort of thing with a thick metal door and awesome shit inside most likely. Your almost there but add presents you have to break open (we already know how much I like to smash things) and a voice over by THE JOKER not just any random ho hum Joker either it's THE MOTHER FUCKING MARK HAMIL JOKER YOU ASSHOLE. Yeah I told you it was awesome.

The way it works is you have a vault ticket in your inventory that you just get near the beginning of the game and after a while you use it to go into the Jokers vault and punch shit and get money and items. From that point on you can pull up your instance menu and go in periodically (I suspect it's a daily thing).

0 comments: