Minecraft a big, big BIG FUCKING CIRCLE

Monday, March 21, 2011

Since i got back into minecraft about three weeks ago I have been doing mostly one thing digging and adding onto my main tunnel and bases. Actually bases which are now all connected because I went in one giant magnificent glorious circle.


You might remember I started a floating base when I got back into the minecraft three weeks ago. Shortly there after I got bored of transporting back and forth between there and the ground for raw materials so I started of on a digging journey.

I basically went below my floating base dug down then went ever deeper at a forty five degree angle. I hit the bottom unbreakable blocks without ever punching through a natural cave. If you don't know what I mean by unbreakable blocks and punching through a cave then you've probably never played minecraft and are probably not even reading this anymore sooooo never mind.

In my frustration with not hitting a natural cave I developed that bad OCD trait of digging dirt I mentioned in a previous post. Basically if I find dirt or gravel while I'm mining I feel compelled to dig it all out. This is actually how I made my main underground base.

There were pockets of said dirt and gravel touching and when i dug them out there was a giant room left over. I cleaned it up made it square fashioned a swimming pool threw a thousand torches on the wall and viola mi casa.

The most insidious thing about Minecraft is the endless freedom without specific goals. Since minecraft is just so fucking fun to play you invent for yourself goals. IE you make a base and then you make your base bigger and then you make it bigger still and then you dig a tunnel to find special materials to help make your base awesome. then you realize your tunnel is too long so you make another base. Then you need more wood but you get sick of going to the surface and getting shot by skeletons and blown up by creepers so you wisely decide on making underground trees. Then you need natural light so you dig a pillar tunnel straight up to the surface so sunshine makes it's way all the way down to your base to grow trees. Then you really start fucking around.

You start to mess around with lava and water and if your mike you burn the world down and then make a whole new one. If your me you just accidentally fall in your own pit of lava and loose all your good shit so you have to go digging again. Then you get in a digging mode. You abandon your base for a while then you just dig for diggings sake.

Then you keep getting lost in your your random directional digs. Then if your like me you need to make your main tunnel distinguished from all the twisting tentacle off shoots of that main tunnel. This is where I developed a sort of bread crumb based path system. I make my tunnels at least three blocks wide and the middle of the floor i put a dirt path. I used to use sand so you would know it was not a natural dirt patch but going over water and lava nixed that system because your path just falls and burns or gets in the water and screws up the flow.

I'm getting close to the circle thing don't worry.

In all this digging I found a natural waterfall with 3 separate water falls in a large cavern. Being a nerdy minecraft player with a non-exist ant social life I got really excited and realized this would make a perfect centerpiece for yet another new base. This base is just a basic way station though I don't want to put all the effort into another super base and feel guilty for abandoning yet another one in my wake. We can discuss my frightening need to personify holes in the ground as having feelings some other time.

I decided to make my glorious find more accessible I would dig a spiral staircase around the edge of the cavern and in behind the water falls so you could travel up the cavern and take in the view. I made a glass floor every so often so you could go out and really enjoy the ball tingling height of the cavern. Once I got to the top I was satisfied with my accomplishment and set to go fuck around some more.

After a while of experimenting with dynamite, and by experimenting I mostly mean blowing myself up, I decided to go back to waterfalls.

I thought to myself that since there was glass floors all the way down why not dig up to the surface so light could travel all the way down the cavern. So I did I was surprisingly close to the surface which was handy because making a sun shaft is a real douche and takes forever.

Low and behold I was UNDERNEATH MY FLOATING BASE. Yeah remember that guy from three weeks ago that I abandoned and felt bad about WELL HERE IT WAS just like an ex-girlfriend you've forgotten about how crazy she was but remember how good the sex was. Not to say I was going to have sex with my old base. Even if it was possible... OK maybe but it's impossible so lets move on.

I just want to re-establish how much distance I had covered underground to magically end up in the same place. 2.5 weeks of fucking around digging this way then that. There's literally miles of cave down there.

So after I broke through the surface I decided to continue the spiral staircase upwards to floating base. Now everything is attached in a giant circle now all my abandonment guilt is gone. Most excitingly though now i get to go fuck around and figure what else to do.

0 comments: