Minecraft getting back in

Thursday, March 3, 2011

So I'm playing Minecraft again. Which also means I am playing nothing else. I really really get obsessed with minecraft and making my base.


before I talk about my base and how awesome it is and how awesome that makes me I just want to touch on minecraft skinning. I finally skinned minecraft with a custom design found online. It took 15 minutes and i would urge everyone to do this. You can google one pretty easily because apparently theres a hundred million Minecraft nerds who want to make your life better.

Theres a pretty extensive list found here http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?t=12352 with a very easy to follow tutorial on how to install the skin. I would also suggest to make a back up of the default one becuase you never know what could happen or if you get sick of a skin you chose.

I choose the Legend of zelda theme because well lets face it Zelda is the shit. Heres what it looks like.

Finally now onto building my base.

I am on my third iteration of said base. First there was a vertical mine room design where there were about 10 rooms on top of one another and were not that large. Then Mike decided that he wanted to try a new server and thus create another world for us to inhabit. I mostly think he did this because he set half of our old world on fire screwing around with lava.

It was a good decision because I had also screwed around and toyed with landscaping halfhazardly. I did learn how to make sweet water and lava pillars which I put to good use in my second floating lair.

With the addition of the Magic Carpet in minecraft you can basically walk around in mid air. I took advantage of this and built a three room single level floating platform base. Problem was theres no where to go mine and piss around in mid air and using the Magic Carpet is actually a giant pain in the ass.

I needed resources so I would teleport from my base to a mine. Until Mike suggested I build a way station in my mine so I didn't have to go back to base to craft anything. This was the inception of my third base.

I admit it sometimes when it comes to video games I get obsessive compulsive disorder. I have to cut down all the grass in a Zelda game or I have to kill only one type of bad guy for a while. In minecraft I have to dig the dirt out of a tunnel... ALL the dirt. This means that if I am digging a mining tunel and I come up on dirt I switch to a shovel and get rid of all the dirt I can see. If i see uncover more I get rid of that dirt too. Ends up there was a catacombs of tunnels left over after one infuriatingly long clearing spree.

Third Base ended up being me digging out these catacombs in to one giant room thats something like 30 block by 20 blocks with tow floors. I have been adding to this base over the last couple of days and now there is a pool a verticle sunlight tunnel to let the trees grow and even a lava disposal area.

0 comments: